If you are new to owning a home [or possibly not] and are just getting into the groove of the responsibilities, you might find there’s a decent amount to learn and keep track of. In an attempt to lend a hand, we’re sharing a checklist of around-the-house maintenance you can complete yourself to keep your abode in tip-top shape.
- Inspect and possibly change out HVAC filters.
- Clean kitchen sink disposal.
- Clean range hood filters.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher(s).
- Test smoke/carbon dioxide detectors.
- Test garage door auto-reverse feature.
- Run water and flush toilets in unused spaces.
- Check water softener and add salt if needed.
- Test your water heater’s pressure relief valve.
- Give your house a deep clean.
- Replace batteries in smoke/carbon dioxide detectors.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils.
- Flush hot water heater and remove sediment.
- Winterize air conditioning systems.
- Take care of any insect problems you may have.
- Get heating system ready for winter.
- Turn off and flush outdoor water faucets.
- Get chimney cleaned, if you have one.
- Check driveway/pavement for cracks.
- Brace yourselves. Winter is coming.